Project “Active for Education in Prison 2.0”
(July 2019-December 2020)
The project is aimed at increasing the number of civil society organizations working in penitentiary institutions and strengthening their capacity to work with prisoners and ex-prisoners, organizing innovative educational programs for them. It is also focused on strengthening the interaction of these organizations with the media and journalists in order to raise the issue of the rights of prisoners (primarily their right to education and full development of the human personality) in the media and society.
The participants of the project are members of the International Network of Penitentiary Education, representatives of civil society organizations, state authorities and penitentiary institutions, mass media, prisoners and ex-prisoners from Armenia, Belarus, Moldova and Ukraine.
– Preparation of surveys on the situation of education in prisons and after release in the project countries and (based on these surveys) – general comparative analysis (2019);
– Carrying out the round tables “Prisoners’ Right to Education”, dedicated to the International Day of Education in Prison (celebrated on October, 13) (October 2019);
– Conducting educational seminars for civil society organizations on the topic “Development and implementation of projects to expand access to education for (ex-)prisoners” (October 2019);
– Announcement of a competition for civil society organizations for the implementation of innovative projects for the testing and introduction of training programs for prisoners and ex-prisoners (2019) and their implementation (2020);
– Study visit to Germany “Education in Prison” for the winners of the mini-project competition (November 2019);
– Holding a workshop for civil society organizations and journalists to raise public awareness of the right to education for prisoners and ex-prisoners, to discuss stigmatization and isolation of ex-prisoners and to promote their reintegration into society (January 2020);
– Holding a competition among journalists for the best articles and materials on the theme “Access to education for prisoners and ex-prisoners” (January-August 2020);
– Presentation of the results of the competition for journalists (October 2020).
The project is implemented in cooperation with DVV International.
With the financial support of the Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Germany.